The Law of Karma states that all our Karma boomerang on us and we are bound to face the consequences of the Karmas done by us. However many methods of improving the effects of Karmas already done by us have been prescribed in various books and Hindu Shastras. Some of these methods are summarized below for the benefit of the readers. These methods are perhaps the best remedial measures for propitiation of planets.
- Book entitled “Karma and reincarnation in Hinduism” of Swami Narayan Samparday (Chapter six ) describes following eight factors which affect the principle of Karma –
- Auspicious place: The place or land in which Parmatma and the realized Sadhu are present, your satsang and bhakti are easily feasible. Karmas done on such places have least bad effects.
- Karmas done on auspicious time are most fruitful. This stipulates that some tithis (lunar days) such as Akshay tritya, Makar Sankranti, Vijaya Dashami and Labh Panchami, the tithis on which Avatars have appeared , full moon day etc are more auspicious to perform pious acts.
- Karmas done in the company of pious people are very fruitful.
- Recitation of the following types of Mantras have positive effects on our Karmas
- Mantra that is chanted for the good of all creature.
- Mantra whose chanting instills peace in our heart.
- Mantras that induces happiness and removes misery and pap Karmas of countless births
- Mantra that eradicates our base instincts and by which one becomes pure
- Mantra by which a person is and endowed with the sentiments benediction to all creatures
- Mantra that is chanted to bestow auspiciousness to all.
- All types of meditation
- All types of auspicious acts such as observance of celibacy, nine forms of devotion, donation, fasting on Ekadashi, serving Sadhus, visiting Mandirs and holy places improve our Karma.
- Obtain initiation of Guru Mantra and going to the refuge of Sadhus
- To study and follow pious Shastras that extol divine Leela and Glory of God so that one can mould one’s life and imbibe attributes to attain Moksha
- Following views have been expressed by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait Ph.D. in his book “From death to rebirth” –
- Recitation of Gayatri Mantra can erase negative Karmas, create new positive Karmas and open channel for God’s grace.
- Intense tapas, Samadhi, Mantra Sadhana, the grace of God, selfless service and satsang create a powerful positive Karma in a short period of time and this can neutralize the effect of previous negative Karmas
- By sacrificing your comforts and giving away that which you know to be yours, you pay off your karmic debts in a subtle realm.
- One means of counteracting negative Karmas is to be in company and service of saints.
- Faith in God and surrender to God’s will can be created through meditation, prayer, japam, contemplation, self study and service to those whose mind and hearts are full of total God consciousness.
- Shrimad Bhagwat Puran indicates that total surrender to the will of God and company of his devotees is better even than ‘tapas.’ Devotion to God and chanting His holy name has been praised at various places in Shrimad Bhagwat Puran. According to Shrimad Bhagwat Puran Keertan of His holy name is best in Kalyuga. (Shloka 16 of Chapter 1 Sakandha 6) Shri K N Rao also praises recitation of Vishnu Sahasranama for propitiation of planets.
- Shrimad Bhagwat Puran contains various methods which help in mitigating the effects of our bad Karmas. These are Tapas, celibacy, control of senses, stability of mind, charity,following the path of the truth, cleanliness of body and mind, The act and regulations (यम तथा नियम), Observation of above qualities can end the evil effects of bad Karmas of our body, speech and mind. (Shloka 13 Chapter 1 Sakandha 6)
- Following advice were given to King Chitraketu by Sage Narad and the same is contained in Shrimad Bhagwat Puran –
- Renounce desire and attachment, as well as company of those who are filled with desire and attachment
- Seek the company of the wise people and embrace their teaching in your thought, speech and action
- Remember that nothing in this world belongs to you. you can use the objects of the world presented by your destiny, but at some point you must leave them behind in order to walk forward.
- Form the habit of living in solitude, for only there can you contemplate on the higher reality without distraction.
- Cut asunder your wordly relationships once you have fulfilled your duties and obligations.
- Do not identify yourself as the doer of actions that your personality traits drive you to perform.
- Renounce the fruits of your actions and rise above the dance of duality, success and failure, loss and gain, owner and insult, reward and punishment and so on.
The religious instructions as enumerated above are perhaps the best remedial measures contained in our various Shastras. We can unlock the liberating power of our mind by the use of our will power. The failure to use this power of will and determination is the source of misery. Actually we have the capacity to overcome our self created Karmic misery provided we unfold our will power to its fullest and follow the instructions contained above.
We can also develop spiritually if we follow above instructions sincerely.
1 thought on “How to lessen the effects of Our Bad Karmas”
Very good article. I have personally tried couple of methods from above and they really help